Historic Eureka City
Historical town situated 1,5 km northwest of Sheba Mine and 11 km northeast of Barberton. After the discovery of the fabulous "Golden Quarry" by Edwin Bray in 1885, diggers and fortune hunters converged on the area and soon small communities were established. In December 1885 J Sherwood started a butchery and a hotel between the Sheba and Fairview mines and this became EUREKA CITY. Sherwood was one of the first pioneers who took part in the Moodies gold rush and was also the first person to start a business venture in Barberton. His wife was not pretty and the diggers named her the Queen of Sheba. The Queen of Sheba hotel was named after her. In 1886 Eureka City reached its peak and there were three shops, three hotels, a bakery, a chemist, racecourse, music hall and the ever-present bars to cater for the 700 diggers in the area. Today only the ruins of the hotel may be seen. Arrange a trip to Eureka City through any of the accommodation establishments.
For more go to History.